Many international students completing studies in Australia will wish to extend their stay here. There are a number of visa options which can facilitate this:
- Student Visa Extension
- You may wish to continue studying in Australia – in this case, you would apply for a further student subclass 500 visa whilst in Australia.
- Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 Visas
- Students may be eligible for graduate work visas on completion of their courses. This gives them full work rights in Australia for 18 months or more and makes it easier to accumulate more points when applying for skilled migration or opportunities to find an employer sponsor.
- General Skilled Migration
- International students have a number of advantages in applying for skilled migration. Points are available for studies in Australia, particularly where completing higher qualifications or studying in a regional area. In addition, having an Australian qualification makes it easier to pass skills assessment in a skilled occupation.
- Company Sponsorship
- If you have a job offer with an Australian company, it may be possible for them to sponsor you for either temporary or permanent residence.
- Partner Migration
- If you have an Australian spouse, partner or fiance, it is possible for them to sponsor you for permanent residence. Your partner would need to be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen.