Skip to content
There are several visa options that allow businesses to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia. They are:
- Temporary Business Sponsorship (457 visas)
- Temporary Work (Skilled) or 457 visa allows businesses based either in Australia or overseas to sponsor workers for a temporary visa lasting up to 4 years. Only certain occupations are eligible for 457 visas, and employees must be paid at the market rate.
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)
- The Employer Nomination Scheme is a permanent visa, and requires the nominating employer to be operating in Australia. The employee needs to show a higher level of skill than for a 457 visa, but otherwise the criteria are broadly similar to the 457 visa.
- Regional Sponsored Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS)
- The RSMS visa requires a job offer in a regional area. The position needs to be approved by a Regional Certifying Body, but otherwise the skill level criteria are lower than for an ENS visa. The resulting RSMS visa is a permanent visa, but is subject to cancellation if the employee leaves employment within 2 years of obtaining the visa.
- Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist)
- For people undertaking highly specialised work or they are working in Australia’s interest